Saturday, April 12, 2008

Hey, Mama, It's Me...

Last night I heard a stream of continuous coughing coming from the boys' room and I went in with a cup of water. I asked Moose if he wanted a drink and he said he didn't. When I left the room I heard more coughing and realized that it was actually BiggiE. The boys have practically the same voice and often the only way I can tell them apart is their verbal abilities. That little trick is going to disappear soon because BiggiE is really proficient for his nearly two-years-of-age.

Tyler and his younger brother, Drew, have the same voice, as well. One time, Tyler left a message on our home phone and later when I was playing the message Tyler asked, "When did Drew call?" Um, honey, that's you. I guess we shouldn't worry about not being able to tell them apart if they can't do it themselves.

I have a glimpse of my future because Tyler and Drew will call their mom and say, "Hey, Mama, it's me," and then launch into conversation. My mother-in-law has told me that she just goes along for a couple minutes looking for identifying markers so she will know which son she is talking to. I wonder how many times parents' of twins don't know which twin is standing in front of them?