I trained for the 1.5 mile swim six years ago thinking I would be able to take the place of a friend that couldn't do the swim. A few weeks before the race I called to confirm that I was swimming and found out that I wouldn't be able to take his place. It was a bummer and though I went and paddled a safety kayak for the swimmers, I have had the desire to do the swim niggling in the back of my mind since 2003.
Swimming is my favorite exercise and I was able to continue swimming while pregnant with Jelly Belly. In either a case of insanity or optimism I registered last November (8 months pregnant) to do the swim this August. With the support of Os, the kids, and an army of babysitters I was able to train for the big day: August 15, 2009.
I have often compared labor and delivery to a difficult athletic race and the similarities really are amazing. For me it is the anticipation that is so hard to deal with. In the words of Prince Humperdink, "Let's get ON with it!"
Finally, the day of the race. Finally, checked in with required ankle timing chip and race swim cap in hand. Finally, the wetsuit is on. Finally, on the ferry on the way out to Alcatraz Island. Finally, the jump off the ferry into the bay. Finally, the horn blows and the race has begun...
As with labor and delivery, the race was different than I imagined it would be. Some things were expected, i.e. freezing water temperatures that gave me a momentary brain freeze, but many things were different.
I had expected being that there were 800 swimmers that I would be swimming with or, at least, near people. Not so. For much of the race I was by myself. I could see other yellow caps bobbing along, but that was it. It crossed my mind that it was a good thing that the name of the race was not based on any facts because I did not have the safety in numbers. At times I would be going along with another swimmer, but not very long.
The water was also different than anything I had swum in. I swam in Hawaii and San Diego, but the waves there were rollers so you could expect where your body would be when you came up for a breath. In the bay it was so choppy that I never knew which side the waves would be coming from or how big they would be. I was glad I had trained breathing on both sides.
My biggest concern was that I would not finish in the required 1 hour 15 minute time limit. At one point I looked up and could not see anyone -- only a few boats far away on both sides of me. I finally was close enough to a kayaker to shout out and ask if I was on pace to finish in time. He reassured me that there were still plenty of people behind me. After that I felt like I could relax and bang it out.
As I neared the Aquatic Park I noticed I was slowly gaining on a swimmer wearing a hot pink shirt. I set a little goal for myself and managed to pass him just as we entered the park. It felt so good to be on the home stretch. I stumbled out of the water at one hour and 5 minutes and met with my fans (Os, the kids and Os's brother) with relief and smidge of elation.



I feel so blessed to have the health and opportunity to compete in this swim. What a gift!