Thursday, October 22, 2009

Lovin' BiggiE


My friend, Marcy, introduced us to a book called I Love You the Purplest by Barbara Joosse. The story follows two brothers and their mom through a day of adventure and affection. I often think of this book and how my relationship is different with each of my children, but my degree of love for each of them has the same ferocious intensity.

I have been enjoying the three days a week that Moose is a school and Jelly Belly is napping and I get a little one on one time with BiggiE. I may have mentioned that one of our friends calls BiggiE "The Professor" because he always has detailed explanations for what he is doing. This same friend recently remarked that we may need to rename BiggiE "The Mayor". It's true. BiggiE can be quite outgoing when the fancy strikes him.

BiggiE's preschool teachers are the same ones Moose had last year and all four of them were commenting on how different the two boys are from each other. Not bad, they qualified, but so different. Whereas Moose was focused on his peers, BiggiE chats with everyone, especially the teachers -- all the time. They also said he is very affectionate and loves to give hugs. It's true. If BiggiE has met you before that means you are hug worthy.

One thing I love about being a mom is watching these three people develop who they are. I feel like I am often looking at them and wondering who they are inside. Occasionally I get a glimpse of who they may be at 10 or 30. It is humbling and awe inspiring.