Wednesday, May 30, 2012

One Armed Bandit

Well, it happened... Our first trip to the ER.

Friday night we were all outside while the kids rode their bikes.  BiggiE is a fairly new rider, but was having a great time.  Then, CRASH.  Os and I glanced over and did a double take.  BiggiE's arm was completely misshapen.

I ran to BiggiE; Os shouted at Moose and Jelly Bean to get in the car and ran to get ice.  BiggiE was so brave.  By the time I had carried him to the van he had stopped crying.  Actually, Moose and Jelly Bean were sitting in the van crying because they were so worried for BiggiE and they were the ones who needed the pep talk that everything was going to be okay.

The drive to the ER felt 10x longer than it was, but we were seen immediately and here's one of the best parts -- The ER doctor walked right up to Os and said, "Os T."  Os had sat next to Dr. Mark when they graduated from Colorado State!  What a small world!

BiggiE really was a trooper.  He didn't cry the entire time at the hospital.  Though they did have to give him three different doses of sedative because he was just hanging out and chatting, not groggy at all.  While Dr. Mark reduced the fracture, pulling and squeezing, BiggiE just groaned and grimaced, "Oooh, that hurts."

One perk of a broken arm is instant celebrity status in Kindergarten.  With only a few weeks of school left we weren't worried about school work, but BiggiE writes surprisingly well with his left hand.  Oh, I almost forgot another great thing: the cast is waterproof.  I didn't even know they had those, but, boy, does that make all the difference with summer right around the corner.

Showing his Redbird pride!

Do you think it's broken, Doc?  Hmm, hard to say...
Posted by Picasa