Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Executive Chef

Our friend, Dawn, who is a chef here in town was over for dinner and was chatting with the boys about food (one of their favorite topics.) Dawn leaned over to Moose and told him that she should come over and the two of them could make dinner for his mom and dad sometime.

"You could be the sous chef (second in command), Moose," I interjected.

Moose gave me an exasperated look and replied, "Mom, I don't want to be the sous chef, I want to be the executive chef."

I laughed out loud because a) my four-year-old knows what an executive chef is (I guess that's what happens when you live in wine county with foodie parents) and b) how silly of me to think that Moose would want to be anything but in charge.

On Christmas Eve, Os made some ciabatta bread. He gave Moose and BiggiE a piece of dough do make their own loaf. I loved watching them knead and shape the dough. I so enjoy how they want to do everything Os does and I am so thankful they have such a wonderful dad to emulate. Seeing their mini loaf on the counter next to Os's loaf made me smile.