Saturday, March 7, 2009

Blueberry Bagel, Please

The other day BiggiE and I were doing a little grocery shopping with Jelly Belly asleep in her carrier. I decided to get BiggiE a little snack to munch on while he drove the little cart car during our shopping. The following exchange occurred:

Me: BiggiE, do you want a bagel?

BiggiE: Yes, I want a blueberry one. (No "please" added I realize. Someday my kids may consistantly add one without prompting. I'm not holding my breath.)

Me: Okay, you can have a blueberry one.

As we pull up to the bagel case I see there are no blueberry bagels.

Me: Aw, Buddy, they are all out of blueberry bagels today. What kind do you want instead?

BiggiE: A blueberry one.

I am now crouched down by the cart car in my calm-mommy-explaining position.

Me: BiggiE, there are no blueberry bagels today.

I proceed to list the flavors that are present.

BiggiE: I want a blueberry one.

What is so amusing to me (in hindsight) is that BiggiE is also displaying the utmost calm. He is not raising his voice or whining, just repeating his statement very matter-of-factly. Anyone that's every had a two-year-old knows this is not always the case.

Me, rheortically: BiggiE, if there were a blueberry bagel, would Mama give it to you?

Then with barely masked exasperation: Show me where the blueberry bagel is?

Wouldn't you know, BiggiE patiently points up to the second bin from the left. Stacked right next to the cinnamon raisin are... You guessed it. The blueberry bagels.

(I should note that, unfortunately, we don't all always keep our cool like in the above conversation, but why post those? I'm hoping those occurrences fade to a dull memory. Knowing they happened is enough and I don't really want to remember the specifics.)