
I still haven't quite formulated the words to convey what I thought of the Sufjan Stevens concert. Our friend, Stanford, expresses many of my thoughts and feelings. Check out his post. I particularly like his points on "‘Christian’ makes a great noun but a horrible adjective" and "John Wayne Gacy".
The term genius is often bandied about when critics discuss Sufjan. My knowledge of most art forms, including music, is limited enough that I can't really comment on whether or not the term is correct in regards to Sufjan. What I do know is that there have been only a handful of occasions when a sculpture, a dance and, in this case, a concert have moved me to tears.
There was something almost transcendent in the beauty. It was so human and so cosmic all at the same time. I kept thinking to myself, "I can't believe I am here witnessing this..."
The fact I could go with Tyler during harvest, with some of our best friends, made the experience that much sweeter.