Monday, July 4, 2011

Camping - French Meadows

We enjoyed our Fourth Annual Camping Trip in the French Meadows. This campsite is a 2 hour drive off I-80 and Mosquito Ridge Road has to be one of the curviest paved roads in the US.

We had been unofficially racing our friends -- all the time thinking they were ahead of us -- when I begged to pull over so I could get some contact solution from the trunk. Right after we pulled over our friends drove past us! I knew I was never going to live down costing our family the race.

Fortunately for me, our friends missed the entrance to the campsite and we won!

This year will go down as the year we didn't have running water at the campsite and had to filter and cart up gallon upon gallon from the river. It was kind of a nice feeling to be able to supply water to so many people the old school way.

This is the crazy big group.


Some of the beautiful girls smothering their beloved Eliza.


This rock formation was right by the cooking site of the camp and the kids made a really cool secret hide out complete with a hidden bush path.


I love kids camping. They are so in their element. I believe the boys were constructing some sort of fortress out of these stumps.


Jelly Bean is rockin' her camping fashion. This look will be on fashion runways this Fall.


There seemed to be tables and tables of food even with many families sharing meals. I am amazed we were able to put it all away in the bear boxes at night.


The youngest member of the gang, Gus, was the most mellow baby you can imagine. Here he is cutting his teeth on this papa's beer glass.


No need to be scared of the dark with this skilled BiggiE ninja on the prowl.





The water was absolutely freezing (we could see snow from our camp). We did a lot more hanging out on the bank of the river than actually swimming.






I love, love, love this photo. Jelly Bean with her best friend, Lily. And yes, those are homemade donuts. And no, I did not aspire to bring a vat of hot oil into the remote mountains in order to make fresh, hot sugariness. That was our friend, Ryan. Thank you, Ryan, we were happy to eat of your labors and your foodie craziness.