Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Camping - Big Basin

We had a great time camping in Big Basin for the first time. It was great to be in the coastal mountians. We haven't camped in a group campground with other people around in a while, but Big Basin wasn't that bad because all the huge redwoods and undergrowth makes it feel more separate. (Though I should say I don't know if the people around our crew felt that way since we had so many kids in our group.)

We went for a nice family hike just the five of us. I love being with a group of people, but I also like just our immediate family times, too. The boys are at a great age where they can hike pretty far, but they are still at a pace where I can keep up. I think those days might be numbered.


Jelly Bean decided to give her brother a turn in the backpack carrier.


I saw this idea in a magazine and it looked like the perfect camping treat.


The kids had fun decorating their own campfires.


The coconut fire meant that some kids are cold firepits and others, like Moose, had big blazes. I knew he was a pyro.


The kids hideout. How cool to have a big tree to hang out in. Moose and BiggiE were two of the oldest boys and they had a good time leading the pack. Moose, especially, loves to be in charge and he was in his element with younger kids eager to follow in his plans.


Jelly Bean with her sweet friends, Maddy and Lily.


I saw this cute (and easy!) idea on Janna's blog. Ours didn't turn out as cute as hers, but the kids were all thrilled.


The creek was just about the right size for the ages of our kids. Our dear BiggiE still managed to almost drown himself on our first day by getting stuck upside down between two rocks. Deana was there to rescue him, thank God.


Moose had plans to construct a bridge across the creek. Here he and Blake work to get a key board in place.


Moose was the first to try and bridge and ALMOST made it all the way across before the supports gave way.


Here is our warrior boy: dirty from head to toe, a big stick in head and tearing into a big piece of venison. BiggiE was starting to fall ill at this point. He ended up with a stomach bug (let me tell you we felt so bad for him on the way home because it is a very, very windy road.)


We neglected to take a picture of the whole group, but we did get this of our manly men: Peter, Jake, Matt, Tyler, Randy, Tim, and Darren.