As a case in point, I made some egg salad sandwiches the other week to take to a Women's Leadership meeting at church. I felt inspired to cut the sandwiches into heart shapes. The inspired part of me was thrilled with the way they turned out. The loathing part of me thought, "That is so girlie-girlie!" In the past I've described myself as being a bit of a schizo. At the leadership meeting my friend, Pam, commented on the sandwiches with, "Byranie, you are such a paradox." I've decided I like "paradox" better than "schizo".
I don't know why these two parts of me can't get along. I suspect the anti-cute part of me stems from being raised in Colorado. There seems to be a lot of Colorado girls with a "I am tough!" attitude, at least, there seemed to be a lot of those girls at my university. Part of it may also have to do with wanting to seem like a serious intellectual (okay, I can hear those of you who know me laughing) and not being able to reconcile Jello race cars with academic fervor.
Whatever the case may be, most of me really enjoyed the way these cookies turned out. My lengthy preface was to appease the part of me that has not matured enough to "get over it".