Monday, March 17, 2008

Bee Allergy Free


Like many people I get mild seasonal allergies. I didn't have any in Colorado, but here in California with hundreds of varieties of plants in bloom it can be brutal for me. I always put off taking medication until it is unbearable, but I never really feel good about the medication because my allergies are really not that bad.

Then I heard that eating local honey can help with seasonal allergies. Now there's a treatment I can get excited about. I looked into to it and as with most natural remedies there is not a ton of research, but the scientific research conducted does seem to indicate the positive effect of local honey on allergies for many people. The honey needs to be as local as possible so that the bees will be feeding from the plants around you that are causing your particular allergies. Honey from the Sonoma coast will not do you much good if you are allergic to the pine tree pollen up in Tahoe.

Fortunately, we have a local honey guy who sells his "wildflower" honey at the farmer's market so I picked up a bottle. Supposedly, it is best to ingest 2 teaspoons a day for a couple months before the pollen season. Missed that this year, but I figure I should get into the habit now (wink, wink). If nothing else, I'm getting extra antioxidants, vitamins and a sweet, delicious taste. Great way to treat the kids, as well.