Monday, May 10, 2010

Bird Clock

I had been looking for just the right clock to put in our kitchen when I found this:

The Audubon Singing Bird Clock

I told Os he was getting a preview of what I am going to be like when I am eighty because this clock amuses me to no end. Os informed me he had known two people (both under 40 at the time) who owned this clock, so I guess I am not starting any new trends.

The Audubon Bird Clock sings a different birdsong for each hour, so naturally I am not the only one enthralled with the clock. The boys stop whatever they are doing when they hear the birdsong and have been pouring over the Audubon Bird book that came with the clock so they can learn each bird.

I was tucking the boys in bed one night -- mind you the clock had been up and running less than 24 hours -- when Moose said to me, "Mama, can you be quiet when you leave the room so I can hear the 8:00 bird." I assured him of my silence and he added, "Eight o'clock is the Eastern Bluebird." I couldn't believe he had memorized them already. I still don't have it down and we've had the clock over a week. I think Moose might have a future in the World Series of Birding.

Now that the weather has been warmer we have opened the skylight upstairs. One morning just before daybreak I was laying in bed when I heard a birdsong. Then I heard another birdsong. I dreamily thought to myself, "That is so strange that another hour just passed so quickly." Then, as I heard a third birdsong I realized I was hearing real songs coming in the open skylight of our bird friends living in the redwoods.