Monday, November 3, 2008

Happy Harvest!

I decided to post our holiday letter for posterity. If you've already read it, I apologize. Please feel free to move on.

Incidentally, this photo session with the pumpkins was a great exercise in my letting go of expectations. I knew going into it that BiggiE would most likely decline to wear his pumpkin helmet. "I don't want to be a pumpkin monster" was his reasoning.

What I didn't expect is that I would be the limiting factor. Yes, it was awkward having my large tummy painted (though great for hiding stretch marks), but what really made me urge our photographer (Tyler's mom) to hurry is that my pumpkin had started to rot and stinky pumpkin juice was oozing onto my head and shoulders. (You can even see some of the drips in the photo.) Ew!


Greetings!

In anticipation of our new little girl arriving sometime the beginning of December we decided to send out a Happy Harvest in lieu of a Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays.

The big news on Tyler’s job front is that he is now the head winemaker at Pax Wine Cellars in Santa Rosa. The focus is on Rhone varietals, particularly Syrah. Tyler jumped into his new role right before harvest began and has been very busy, but very happy. As his wife, it is wonderful for me to see him excelling in a job that really uses his skills and abilities. In the midst of the pressure he has been able to keep a broad perspective and realize he is making wine, not doing brain surgery. Get more info at www.paxwines.com

In addition to spending most of 2008 growing another human being in my womb (not that I personally have much to do with beyond the milkshakes and naps), I have started swimming again. Being back in the pool again is fulfilling on many levels and I am hoping to compete in the race from Alcatraz to San Francisco next summer.

As a family, we wracked up the frequent flyer miles with trips to Mexico to be with my family and to Nags Head, NC to be with Tyler’s. We feel fortunate to be able to spend time with our wonderful families in such beautiful places. We managed to fit in a few camping trips this year and judging by the boys’ enthusiasm we won’t have to twist their arms to go next year. Tyler has also taken the boys to the climbing gym a couple of times. It is a treat to be able to enjoy activities we love with the boys as they get older.

Speaking of the boys, both Moose and BiggiE are still enthralled with all vehicles and animals. They were thrilled to get to be co-pilots for their Grandpere this September when we were in St. Louis. Moose is super excited to meet his baby sister and BiggiE is warming up to the idea. They have christened her “Baby Jelly Belly”.

Mr. Oscars
Moose has started preschool three days a week and has enjoyed learning and making new friends. One of the first units they did was on the rainforest which is perfect for Moose since he thinks he is Go Diego Go. Moose likes to know the specific name for animals, i.e. not a bird, but a scarlet macaw. His favorite animals right now are sharks and snakes. (You know how I love that! Nothing like a few trips through the snake house at the zoo to help you face a phobia.)

Since Moose turned four in August I have been referring to him as Mr. Oscars. The child has a battering ram for head and has always taken hard falls with barely a peep. Now the slightest graze requires the ice pack and band-aid he once shunned, followed by a call to 911. I’m convinced he has a bright future as a Latin American soccer player.

Mr. Opposite
BiggiE is often content to go along with the imaginary games of his brother, usually with a race car clutched in each hand, but when he tires lava snakes and construction sites he will happily play his own game. We appreciate his independent spirit and the way he makes us all laugh. He has always been very verbal and it can be entertaining see how he thinks about life. The other day Tyler casually asked him when he thought he would start doing his business in the toilet. BiggiE matter-of-factly replied, “Wednesday.”

Being two-and-a-half, BiggiE has put his own spin on the “No!” of which his age group is so fond. He consistently says the opposite of whatever has just been said by someone else (hence his current nickname). I was explaining to the boys that as hard as it is to believe “Mama doesn’t know everything…” Cue BiggiE, “Yes, you DO know everything.” Why, thank you, I hadn’t realized how I could work this whole stage in my favor.

We are so thankful for you, our friends and family, and we look forward to hearing updates on all that is going on in your world. To enjoy more pictures and stories of our family see our blog: www.youwithus.blogspot.com Have a blessed holiday season!

God’s love, joy and peace,
Tyler, Byranie, Moose, BiggiE and Baby Jelly Belly

Favorites of 2008
Music: Half-Handed Cloud, Danielson Familie, Dan Zanes
Books: The Reason for God by Tim Keller, Some Wildflower in My Heart by Jaime Langston Turner,
Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi, The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan
Movies: Lars and the Real Girl, Amazing Grace, original animated versions of The Jungle Book and
Robin Hood



“For [Jesus] Himself is our peace…” - Ephesians 2:14