Save money while you help the environment!
I think I have a lot of soap boxes that I try not to spend much time on, but what is a blog if not the chance to spout my point of view. I want to put a plug out there for cloth diapers.
I grew up thinking I would use cloth diapers on my children and then lived in Davis, CA while I was pregnant the first time. Davis has a huge population of cloth diaper users and that helped me see the logistics of how I might actually do the cloth diaper thing.
I have used cloth diapers with both of my children and have been really happy with the experience. I made a conservative estimate that we save at least $500 a year using cloth diapers and washing them at home. This number uses 5 diapers per child per day with diapers purchased at Costco. I also subtracted the water and electricity required to clean the diapers. For us, $500 is a significant sum and well worth the two extra loads of laundry a week. Plus, I like to dry the diapers outside on the clothesline in the summer. I love looking outside and seeing the diapers on the line knowing that the sun is sanitizing the diapers even more. I feel connected to all the families before us that didn't have the disposable option.
I realize cloth diapers aren't for everyone, but if you are at all interested I strongly encourage you to explore the option. Happy diapering!
